Saturday, May 1, 2010

Yum-Yum Daze

For some strange reason Yum-Yums invaded my memory recently. Yum-Yums take me back too many years to admit but come from the pleasant and tasty part of my memory bank. We loved the days at home as a kid when my Mom baked. She was a truly good cook and as you could tell by looking at us we enjoyed the goodies. One of the treats I remember her baking were what we called Yum-Yums. I have no idea how they got that name but we loved them. Now remember those were the days when folks baked a lot of what they had and did not rush off to the store and buy everything. All that is available in the area of baked goods today was no where to be found in that time. Many were the days that we came home from school on a cold bitter day and the aroma of baked goods or cooking food met us at the door. Yum-Yums were nothing more than a little spicy cup cake but they were SO GOOD to us AND they stored well - if there were some left to store!
I am including the recipe just in case you are wondering at this point.

LOLA'S YUM - YUMS
4 cups flour
1 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon each -- Soda, Salt, Allspice, Nutmeg, Cloves, Cinnamon
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 cup chopped Raisins
i cup chopped nuts
Blend sugar, shortening and add eggs. Alternately sift in dry ingredients with milk.
Add raisins and nuts. Bake at 350 degrees in paper cups set in muffin pans to keep shape.
I did not record a time to bake but I assume you can tell when they lightly brown and are done. I will do some research on the time and record later.
All that is left is to enjoy with a giant glass of milk!

No comments: