Friday, June 11, 2010

Music

Music is power or better said music has power. Various musical instruments exude power. Music can set the mood for most any event or mood. I was one of those small children who had an insatiable curiosity of musical instruments in all of their complexity. As a result my Mother took an interest in being certain that I was exposed to music and how it was created. I started to study practically as soon as I knew my ABC's. I studied with a teacher who was a graduate of the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music and definitely would be considered "old school or high brow" today. The great composers were the core of the lessons I was taught. Music theory lessons were a regular happening in my two one-hour lessons each week. Mrs. Cooney was a very serious teacher and taskmaster.
Why do I write about this? I suppose I am trying to research the recesses of my mind for the true reason that I really detest some kinds of music and music in certain settings. Certain types of music "drive me crazy" when I am trying to focus. Lest you start to think I only like Mozart and Beethoven let me reassure you that such is not the case. I do not like country and western music much but I do have much appreciation for fiddling! A good instrumental "hoedown" can't be beat at the right time.
When I started junior high school I became involved in both orchestra and band. Today I value and benefit from the background knowledge I gained through these experiences. Later in my life I turned from piano to organ as in church organs. As I learned to blend the stops on an organ to get the desired sounds I needed for various styles of church music I drew from the bank of knowledge stored as I learned full the instrumentation ( parts) of both orchestra and band. Today when I blend stops ( for music I play for different events) I use both my ear and that info bank.
You might observe music in the different settings you visit. Music is available as never before due to the technology from which it can be produced. It produces great sound effects for movies
and commentaries. It can be totally melodic and pleasing to the ear or it can eerie and help create a frightening mood. It is such an available resource that it is often used inappropriately. In my opinion one of those ways is when it blares at me when I read an individual's blog. I hate it and hasten to turn the sound down so I do not have to tolerate it. Sorry Folks, but that is the way it is!

No comments: