Monday, January 16, 2012

Cow Farming

Did you know we have "cow farming" in North Carolina? I had never given it a lot of thought until I was driving up I-40 returning to Raleigh on Saturday. I know that I see fields with cattle west of Raleigh as I go across the state. But I had never given it much thought for the eastern part of the state -- perhaps I had never noticed.

As we / I drove along on Saturday it was a beautiful cold day with lots of sunshine. The fields along the interstate were easy to view as the trees had thrown their "clothes" on the ground about two months ago and were bare. Many of the fields had cover crops and were lush and green. Some fields were interesting in that they had cotton crops last year that had been undercut and cotton still remained on the ground. One field was full of black angus cattle. I saw several fields full of cattle -- don't know what kind of moo-cows they were. I could not help but wonder if some farmers were converting former tobacco fields to cattle farms. I see less and less tobacco in the summer.

I travel 40 most every week. Most often I don't have time to enjoy the scenery because the traffic is especially heavy or I am traveling when it is dark. I was kinda happy to see cattle in the fields. Our climate is quite warm in the summer. I hope they have plenty of shelter from the heat and water for those moo-cows.

No comments: