Monday, January 16, 2012

Spoiled Canine Children

I must admit I am really quite guilty ...... of spoiling my children.....my canine girls. Among the many lessons I learned when Sassy Schnauzer became mine was how to soothe an upset doggie stomach. As instructed by her vet I would cook a pot of white rice for her, add some canned chicken (packed in water, of course) and feed it for several days. Usually this did the trick....problem was trying to get her to eat her regular food after rice. She LOVED the rice feedings!!

As time went on I became aware of a group who fed raw. Then I learned you could actually cook food for your dog which was different from the demeaned feeding from the table. For a while I just couldn't take this in. Feeding raw, cooking for your dog! How could this be???

Having Sassy taught me much. She was the sweetest girl ever but she had numerous health issues. She kept my pocketbook empty and me learning new things about being a canine parent.

Eventually I came to realize it was quite OK to buy very lean ground beef, heat it until it changed colors in a frying pan, spoon it onto paper towels to dry it out and absorb the water and oil, and feed it to my canine children. What could be more appetizing to a canine child. My how they love it .....just a touch of schnauzer heaven. Having learned these great gems I practice spoiling my children when they are "ailing" and sometimes when they aren't and just need a treat.
Thus it has been for the last few days. I know in the next few days as I try to change them back to regular food I can expect the stalking off and refusing to eat for about 24-48 hours.

What's a Mom to do???

No comments: