Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Dad, My Heritage

Everyone has a father, but my Dad is special..to me! I was not his first born but am the first of his children that lived. I am actually the third. But that is not what made my Dad special. My Dad was bred to be a southern gentleman and he was every bit the part. Born of parents who were born in Bedford County, Virginia he was the oldest of four boys. He was a southerner in manners and culture. My Daddy had been brought up with all of the best character traits in tact and he lived by them. Daddy was not much of a "talker" but more of a listener. However, when he did speak, we, as his children, did listen. It was important. He said it ONCE!!

I think my Mom and I drove him crazy sometimes because we talked so much when we got together....and had fun. Soon my father would find his way to his favorite room to watch his favorite ball games. Sports were big in our house and we were schooled in the major ones for sure. His greatest love was baseball! Oh, and he had his favorite snacks he enjoyed while watching...probably some chocolate candy or nuts of some type, and a soft drink. My Mom used to tease him about his sense of humor saying that his lineage came from England, hers having come from Ireland!!

Speaking of lineage, I have spent some time since retiring tracing my parents' genealogy. As I have worked on my Dad's line I have raised as many questions as I have answered about our family.
One amazing fact about which I would love to know more is what happened to my Grandfather Lemon's siblings. My grandfather was one of eight children born to George H. Lemon and Nancy Catherine Peters Lemon. Of these eight children my Granddad was one of only four who survived to be adults (21); this is how it looked: Nellie (1879-1912 --23 years), Granddaddy (1881-1934 -- 53 years); Della - (1883-1898 - 15 years); Sallie ( 1885-1899 -- 14 years); Stephen ( 1887-1920 - 33 years); Henry ( 1890 - 1908 -- 18 years); Blanch (1894- 1960 -- 74 years); Mary ( 1897- 1898 - 1 year). I am certain that to other people that doesn't seem so unusual but to me it raises lots of questions. I have been looking for a family history that might explain these happenings. At this point I have no living family links (obviously) who might be able to explain this to me.

Happy Birthday, Daddy...somewhere beyond the veil. I miss you so much!

No comments: