Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Frustration(s) WIth My Furry Children

I write out of frustration today. This learning to be a veterinarian nurse is a complicated educational path!! I am constantly confused and am totally in sympathy with veterinarians now. Their patients can't speak and their owners attempt but not always understanding what their furry children feel may not be able to convey the correct message. The point to all of this is that I don't understand my furry children and their needs. I try -- oh, so hard, I do try but without much success.

My older furry child has diabetes as I have written before. I understand diabetes somewhat from a human standpoint and I understand the difference between Type I and Type II. My furry child has Type I. I find myself "in a strut," so to speak, trying to get her to eat her food so that I can give her the insulin I am told she needs. Furry child has a mind of her own and doesn't always want to comply with her humanoid's time frames. Thus, my continual frustration with all of this.

In a perfect doggie world my Piper should eat the food offered to her and within a thirty minute time frame I should administer her insulin. Twelve hours later the same procedure should happen again. Well, whoop-dee-doo!! Piper thinks this is poppycock!!! She will just do it her way, thank you!! Most mornings of late I have to bribe her to eat so I can give her the needed insulin. About mid-day she is truly hungry and will eat everything in sight that she likes OR she will stand in front of me and wag her little tail over and over while I question her about what she wants!! I don't like for her to eat bunches of carbs so I try to limit any kibble she might be attracted to consume. This keeps me running to be sure my other schnauzer, Kami, has nothing anywhere that Piper might pick up and consume. It is almost like a house of horrors!!

Today, I am up at 6 AM with these two "hounds!" I eat my own breakfast and then I prepared theirs. Piper smells of hers after I bribe her to come out of her "condo" and walks away. What is in her bowl? To entice her to eat I have given her the WD canned food for diabetic doggies, some chopped chicken breast that I cooked and prepared and I even add a little Oscar Meyer bacon bits. She walked away, folks!! My younger one, Kami, had a little kibble, some chopped chicken breast, and a little of the Oscar Meyer bacon bits. Kami is a little more compliant. She ate all except for part of the kibble. Sometimes she will eat all of her kibble, sometimes not.

I continue to learn....I hope...I can solve this puzzle!!

No comments: