Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hating on Cold

I detest cold weather. So far this winter we have had about 34 million cold outbreaks from the North Pole come far enough south to make us really quite cold. I am really not liking this at all because I hate winter no matter how you frame it. There are some folks who complain all summer long because we have more than enough humidity in our area. Humidity can really make heat stifling. In fact, humidity can make even warm temperatures unbearable. This is especially hard on people who have asthma or any type of breathing difficulties. Since I don't have those problems I do my best to just wipe the sweat and "just grin and bear it." And maybe wear out my deodorant a little quicker than usual.

Why do you suppose I hate winter so? I do not like being cold even more than I dislike being too warm. I find that short days disturb me because I love light and sunshine. If I get up in the morning and the sun is shining my soul is delighted. I have that "whatever disease" that means light deprivation. As we are two thirds of the way through January the days are starting to lengthen to the point that it is discernible for all to see. That, too, makes my soul a happy one.

Once upon a time when I was quite young, I waited for a ride home from work in a cold snowstorm as the snow accumulated and my fingers and toes got more and more like blocks of ice. By the time I got home that day I was in tears. My ride didn't come and that was before the days of cell phones. This was many, many years ago and I actually flagged down a car and asked for a ride. Fortunately for me, the driver was a trustworthy salesman who lectured me but gave me a ride home. I will not go further into detail, however it was a very dangerous thing to do and it was a different time than today even though it could have been disastrous for me. (Gee, what poor sentence structure.) I was afraid I was freezing and getting frostbite. I remember that when I got home I was so, so upset that my Mom wrapped me up very tight and worked to get my extremities warm. This event could have easily been a contributing factor for my dislike of the cold. Sometimes what we are has been colored by the experiences we have endured. Not complaining, just stating a fact.

Some day if I am moved upon I may write more of this experience but for now this is all.

Stay warm everybody and have faith....Spring Cometh!

No comments: