Friday, April 8, 2011

Reflections on Being a Teacher

Have you ever wondered whether a poorly paid profession like being an educator has any satisfying rewards? While being a teacher I am not sure I took the time to give that part of the profession much thought. My nose was " to the grind" so much that I hardly came up for breath! Every minute is so busy. But in the process you make so many connections -- fellow educators, colleagues, students, parents, co-workers from other professions -- too many to list. And over time, one loses contact with these people.

That is where social networks make life interesting. I have taught so many students that I do not know the number. When I see them out in public I often do not know who they are (just looking at their faces) and frequently have to say, "you need to help me with the name." Students' faces and bodies change a lot after elementary school and often it is difficult to attach a name to a face. That doesn't mean I care any less -- but it is what it is!!

So what is my point in writing about some of the "rewards" of teaching. I am delighted to find so many of my former students who have become such great adult individuals. Some are parents, some aren't married yet, some are getting married, and the level of education and professions attained by many of them could not have been predicted when I taught them at the elementary,(pre-) junior high level. Some I taught in the classroom, some I taught in the academically gifted program. Some are medical doctors, some are doctors of philosophy, some are attorneys, some are engineers, a few have been Rhodes scholars, many have various degrees and some are home being Moms at the present time. And many have not yet attained the heights that are yet possible for them. In one way or another they are becoming leaders in their own right. I remember their parents and conferencing with them at least four times a years and sometimes more as we worked together on various projects. I know of their hopes and dreams for their children.

Teaching will not make you rich in terms of your bank account. That certainly is a well known fact. But it will make you wealthy in lots of other ways and it gives you many opportunities for service. I loved my students, even the difficult ones. They taught me many lessons and my experiences, time, and the environment with them helped shape what lies within my soul pertaining my chosen profession.

No comments: