Monday, April 11, 2011

Taxes and Me

Isn't there some kind of saying about two things being certain in life-- death and taxes??? Well, I hope I am not in the rotation for the first one but I can assure you that the second has my number right now. Would you believe that I am among the twenty-eight percent of American citizens who puts their taxes off until the last moment?? Admittedly, I am.
When Ken became sick we started having an accountant do our taxes. I continued that practice for some years after his death. Then one day I decided, (after looking over the returns) I think I can do this. So the next year I purchased a piece of software and have done my own taxes since. However, I am a procrastinator. So here I am, one week from the due date which incidentally has been extended this year due to some holiday, without my taxes done. The problem today is that I have placed the tax bag somewhere for safe keeping and it wasn't in the usual place. I don't know where it is ----- yet. So, should I file for an extension or call in the posse and find it??
Personally, I think the posse would create too much excitement in my house -- what with schnauzer girls -- so I guess I had better get my backfield in motion and find the - uh, ahem--documents to do these bad boy taxes before I have to go off to jail. Was thinking about calling up Willie Nelson and getting all the secrets about how to keep from paying them but if I was due a refund that would be shooting myself in the foot so...off to the search I go.

Such excitement in our house on a dull spring Monday.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Got ours in yesterday (April 18) at 6pm. Donald "enjoys" putting it off too... Hope you beat us!