Thursday, November 10, 2011

Remembering My Sassy

This day tears at my heart as I remember my first canine friend --- truly my BFF. I DID NOT want to send her away. That morning, a year ago, I carried her outside because that front paw worked no more due to the cancer. She attempted to squat as she always did to take care of "business." She fell down, then staggered forward and attempted again. I watched as she got to her other three feet and stood over against the wrought iron fence and looked back at me. Her pitiful, bewildered look let me know it was time. I had made an appointment (the day before) to take her in on this day to "do the deed." But during the evening and night I had changed my mind until I saw all of this. I had been awake most of the night and most of several nights trying to keep her comfortable and listening to her breathing. At this point, I knew. Dread filled my heavy heart. Indeed at this point, her life was in my hands. I simply made myself take her that day to her vet at Bowmans and put her out of her misery.
I think I would place it second among the most difficult choices I have had to make pertaining to life.

She was a precious dog and I loved her so! She had been my friend through so many dark days as I grieved Ken's death. I have missed her so. Folks who have never owned a dog could never understand. I will not attempt to explain....I don't think I could write so that others could comprehend the relationship between a beloved canine and the owner.

Now I have two more little girls similar to my Sassy. I love them in the same way. But in my heart there will always be that special place reserved just for "My Sassy." I will see you Sweet Girl, sometime, somewhere over the Rainbow Bridge. Just wait for me.
My precious, precious one.

No comments: