Friday, December 9, 2011

Tra La La La! and More

Christmas music! Would you agree that most of us love it?? Perhaps because we only hear it during this one season of the year and often wish we heard more of it --- would that be a "little bit correct?" Maybe. Of course, we have the option of listening to it personally all year round if we prefer.

Well, at least one of our local radio stations has undertaken once again to assure that we hear plenty of Christmas songs this year. So they started playing Christmas songs early in November. At first that may sound like a wonderful undertaking. And maybe it is. But today I write of my own reconsideration of the worthiness of this effort. Now wait, just read on further before you think I am Bah Humbug.
In previous years when they did this I only really listened when I was in the car running around which usually was for short periods of time. But this year I was doing my "gypsy thing" and running up and down Interstate 40 as I unloaded my Mom's home (her treasures) into my own. So listen I did to Christmas music. Holey Moley, would you believe that sometimes it was so bad that I had to turn it down / off?? Some of the renderings were so "unlistenable" to my ears that I needed ear muffs! Truly I was somewhat appalled at some of the performances. So said I to me, "Why do you suppose these less than desirable performances of beautiful songs are used in this effort to have us enjoy Christmas music?"

At this point I had to put on my counselor's hat and really talk to myself. Said I to me, "Girly, don't you realize that other folks have different tastes in music than you? Have you forgotten that some in your own family do not agree with your taste and call you 'high brow?' You really need to conjure up several extra pounds of tolerance and use it wisely and quickly."

So I am trying --- really trying. But I also had a few more thoughts about this issue. Perhaps the music this radio station is using is being streamed by another provider and they have used all genres of music (even those I find not so desirable) in the creation of the tapes being streamed in order to keep Christmas music going 24 hours of the day.

I suppose I need to repent but ..... Do you think, perhaps, any of this is correct?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I totally agree! With all the amazing Christmas music out there, I can't believe how awful some of it is. I wrote a similar post a year ago, and I'm getting ready to write volume two. Maybe we're both high-brow, but anyway, you're not alone!