Friday, February 10, 2012

Dawg Stuff!

After the fiasco earlier in the week with "my heathens," I finally came up with a random plan that worked to get the rest of their monthly maintenance meds down them. As I fed them this morning I incorporated what was left of those medications into their chicken and kibble. Some how this worked for the most part. Now in my mean mind I have to figure out how best to get it down the "little demons" next month.

Just like raising children...always looking for the best or a better way.

Feeding my dogs has always been somewhat of a concern for me ---- don't know why but...!
All three of my schnauzers have come through the same bloodline from Tennessee. These people all feed their dogs Flint River Food. I have tried to maintain them on that food but it has not been easy and for the most part has not worked for long. I, then, find myself trying to find an appropriate diet -- one that agrees with the dogs and the vets. That may sound like a simple task but nothing could be further from the truth. My vets are weight conscious and stay on my back constantly about the doggie girls gaining weight. Sassy was always too heavy; now Piper Kensleigh is considered too heavy. I should walk them more but I don't know that that would be enough!! Sassy had digestive issues and wound up on a prescription food which Piper has continued to eat. Kami got tired of Flint River and refused to eat so I switched her over. She now eats the Rx food or another Royal Canine formula. But, they also get canned chicken breast (packed in water) with their kibble (1/3 cup or less of kibble).

I belong to an online group of canine owners who feed raw. I also had a teacher assistant work with me at LR who fed raw. Those who feed raw are convinced that is better. You can buy raw frozen food at local suppliers. Most of these people supplement with various vitamins and minerals. I read their "stuff" but have never been convinced to switch.

Ahhhh, problems of being a doggie parent.

No comments: