Friday, October 18, 2013

Anger at Canine Diabetes

Have you ever been really angry over something for which you have absolutely no control? I feel sorta that way today. I know I can't control canine diabetes nor the fact that my mini schnauzer, Piper, has been afflicted with this horrible disease. However, that does not keep from being really angry and wanting to punch something in retaliation. Last evening I was working with Piper only to realize that the cataract forming in her eye has filled the front At first I was just upset, really, really upset. Then I became just plain angry that these things happen -- so I did some research on exactly why diabetes causes this to happen. While it did not change my angry feelings the deeper understanding of what about the disease actually causes this to happen did help to allay the actual bitterness.

I know that I am not the first schnauzer owner to have these feelings. It is as difficult as it would be if she were my child. Diabetes is difficult. It causes side effects making it difficult to cope at times. Often Piper does not want to eat. Prior to diabetes Piper had no problems eating. Some days I search and search trying to find something to feed her that she can eat ---low in fat and low in carbs. She tires quickly of most things or seems to. If we could really communicate she would probably tell me she just doesn't have much appetite. So...I try not to be offended and continue rattling around trying to find the things she can and will eat. I worry about her and I know that I can not give her the insulin she needs until she has eaten food. Doggies have TYPE 1 Diabetes which means the pancreas isn't producing insulin, thus it must be supplied by shot and syringe.
Schnauzers have a predisposition to diabetes. Some would say - I should not complain that I knew this before falling in love with Piper and bringing her into my family. But that isn't necessarily true any more than I knew that my Sassy Jane schnauzer before her was predisposed to having those horrible bladder stones that she had. And I certainly didn't expect her to have a brachial plexis tumor (cancer) which would take her life.

So today, in all of confessed "human-ness" I am feeling angry about the "situation" over which I have no control. Just wasting my energy, huh? But what would you do?

No comments: