Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My Blind Canine Child

I am learning some tough lessons in my old age. My Piper schnauzer has lost her eyesight to cataracts caused by the diabetes she has. It is very difficult to watch her try to make her way around the house and yard bumping into things that are right in front of her. I can only imagine how frustrating that is for her and how depressing. It upsets me beyond anything words can express. In fact, it tears my heart out to watch what is happening. I seemed to notice the cataracts early last week and they seemed to grow over night and then balloon into full-grown. Last week she had difficulty seeing and by this week she is bumping into everything right in front of her face. She is not to be deterred though as she just backs up and feels her way around the object and moves on. I hope her little spirit continues to prevail over this evil blindness.

I don't know what the future holds in this situation. I will continue to do my best with her. It has been so difficult to get the diabetes regulated -- we still are having trouble because she does not like to eat many things. I never know whether she will eat a food or not. I just keep trying different things. I would hate the think how much I waste trying to get her to eat. With doggies they must eat prior to getting insulin injections so that you can be certain they will eat. Some days it is a vicious circle.

How will we deal with the blindness?? I just don't know. I do not know whether my depleted budget can afford the luxury of eye surgery. I have spent so much of my savings already with this disease. Actually if only one cataract is removed she would be able to see. That would be wonderful. Perhaps I could take up offerings on a street corner to help defray the cost. (Of course, I am kidding.) OR perhaps I need to get a part-time job!! However, that is something I will need to work out.

At this point I am just incredibly sad and upset with all of this. I never fathomed these experiences would be mine when I became a dog owner.

No comments: