Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Worth of a Soul

As I drove up Interstate 40 yesterday I was listening to the radio. Among the news items being updated on the hour was the story of a thirty year old man charged with having stolen a van and run it into five people in the Fayetteville area killing one man. This young man had been having trouble for some time and was known to be mentally ill. His wife and other family members sought help for him without success. When he was arrested it was recognized that he was schizophrenic and quite "out of his gourd." However that did not change the fact that he killed a person and wounded others to the extent that one is still using a wheel chair.
My doctor testified in this case as he had interviewed this young man for diagnosis purposes. He had talked to me at length about him recently. As best the doctor could ascertain this fella had been on no medication and was extremely delusional at the time he committed the dreadful act. He believes that God talks to him and that when God talks to him he feels better -- gives him comfort somehow he relates. He doesn't like to take his medication for his mental problems because they curb the voices in his head and he rather likes when God talks to him.
As I listened the news reported that he had been found guilty of murder and several other offenses for these acts he had committed. Then the news report indicated that the jury would meet again today for the sentencing part of the trial. Today the news indicated that rather than starting the sentencing part of the trial today they had heard from family members on both sides.
As I drove along I pondered the future of this young man who is about thirty as I remember. What he had done is really really bad. To keep him in prison for the rest of his life will mean struggling to keep him medicated so that he is sane. I questioned both sides and possible decisions as I traveled.
Put him on death row for a crime (that) he was insane when he committed? Keep him confined for the rest of his natural life and try to keep him medicated so that he does not live in a schizophrenic state.
What is the most merciful thing to do with an individual in this predictament?
I am not a doctor and thank goodness I was not a member of this jury.

No comments: