Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Charter Schools

I am an educator who has worked more years that she cares to admit in the public classrooms of NC schools. However, I must admit that I do not understand WHY we have charter schools. Now I am fully aware that some of you who read this entry will be ready to beat me to death for admitting this or for not embracing the whole idea but I just do not get it!

If ALL of the rules and "red tape" required of public schools are Not Needed by Charter Schools (who use money from the same pot allotted for public schools) why does any school have to follow ALL of these rules?? It is difficult to understand why all schools would not want to be exempt and "special."

Charter Schools all claim to have a waiting list of students wanting to attend. (That must mean no one wants to follow all of the rules!! Now I am being facetious.) My gut feeling tells me that it means the mamas and the papas of these students do not want their children attending schools with diverse populations. You can define diverse any way you want!!
Students are admitted using a lottery system EXCEPT when a family has an older sibling attending and then siblings can automatically attend if they want.
Supposedly the three driving forces for these schools are Choice, Accountability and Freedom.
Let's look at those.
Choice is all about getting to choose where you want to go to school and getting the focus you desire. That would refer to focus similar to the magnet schools in Wake County.
Freedom --- I will let the following explain: (copied from an online web site)
Freedom: While charter schools must adhere to the same major laws and regulations as all other public schools, they are freed from the red tape that often diverts a school’s energy and resources away from educational excellence. Instead of constantly jumping through procedural hoops, charter school leaders can focus on setting and reaching high academic standards for their students.
Accountability
Accountability: Charter schools are judged on how well they meet the student achievement goals established by their charter contract. Charter schools must also show that they can perform according to rigorous fiscal and managerial standards. If a charter school cannot perform up to the established standards, it will be closed.
Check out CER's Accountability Report: Charter Schools for more.
NOW:
Public schools are considered accountable to rigorous standards. That is what the state and federal testing programs are all about. Charter schools and regular public schools all have to take the same tests. The only difference I can see is that if a charter school is deemed as not meeting tested standards they can be closed. As I understand it -- that is because they do not follow the rules and red tape required of public schools.

So, as I said in the beginning I do not understand this political football called charter schools except for --- let me put it out there-----
1. Not wanting students to attend school with the regular "riff-raff" of the population
2. That feeling that individuals have of " a need to be special" -- or being exclusive
3. Feeling that my children are a cut above yours????

Another point I might make. Charter Schools do not deal with transportation. Transportation is the responsibility of parents. I can only imagine what a difference this makes in discipline problems. Buses and bus stops are the places that many, many discipline problems originate in public schools. In fact, a great majority of discipline problems that happen at school actually find their origin outside of the school setting. This is a good example of an exemption allowed to charters.

The little ditty below I copied from the same site ( I referred to previously) about Charter Schools.

Focus on the kids: Perhaps most important, a charter school is set up around the needs of children, not around the needs of adults. The focus should always be on the kids, and programs should be designed to help children succeed, no matter what it takes.

I could not disagree more with the above three lines. I believe the focus in charters is all about parents and not so much about kids.

I reflect back again on my number one issue in this whole quandry. Why aren't all schools given the opportunity to skirt the red tape and rules?????

Perhaps I have a mental block to all of this. As an educator I have always believed that in the case(s) of most students if they have what it takes to learn -- they will learn and they will flourish in public schools with the backing and support of good parents and good teachers. As parents we should intervene when situations interfere with our children's ability to grow and develop as individuals. Teachers want children to grow, bloom, and achieve under their care.

As individuals we need to grow up with an understanding of how life works and how people are different. That should happen developmentally as we learn and work together. All people need to learn that we do not settle our differences with fists and guns.

There you have it Folks!!! My take on Charters!! Just my opinion. Am I a PollyAnna???

3 comments:

Jan said...

Your opinion and my opinion are very similar. My children did not attend charters--but if I was a parent of school-age students now, I'd probably try to get them into one. I do not understand why charters are able to get the same funding, but do not follow the same rules and regulations. But then there's a lot out there that I don't understand...

Rachel said...

I don't really understand a lot about charters either, but I agree with you too. My kids are at a magnet, and I love it, I feel like they have the best of both worlds. I like them to have the electives and options, but I also think it's good for them to go with the rest of the "riff raff" and learn to get along.

nelsonjeneen said...

Very good point and I agree. I don't have kids in school yet but that is coming up within the next 1.5 years. Sherrie has her kids in a Charter School that isn't very close to their home and I think, "Wow she has a lot of driving to do." But on the other hand her kids are doing slightly better in school.
Of course we are within walking distance to our Elementary school and that to me is a HUGE deciding factor for Marissa to go there. Why would I want to drive 30 minutes away when she can walk with me?
Jill