Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fears When Losing a Pet

For some while now I have felt my Sassy's health is getting worse. (She was diagnosed in May with and incurable cancerous tumor which started in the brachial plexus. I opted not to treat it with chemo and radiation but to keep her as happy and comfortable as I could for her remaining days.) Although she still shows an interest in barking when the other dogs find something "that needs to be barked at." Today her resting breathing is more rapid and she moans every time I pick her up to bring her up the steps or take her down. Some time she will negotiate the deck steps but more often these days she will bark for me to come and help her. I have tried to be vigilant about her pain medication because I feel she is in more pain as time goes along. It is so very sad that she cannot tell me when she hurts more. I don't want her to be alone when she passes away to doggie heaven so I try to watch her carefully. I have never had my dogs sleep with me but as this progresses it may be necessary for me to keep up with her suffering. She still eats pretty well. Tonight she ate all of her chicken and the little bit of kibble I gave her. Her vet told me to be certain she gets lots of protein without fat. So she has been getting chicken canned in water for about a year. I will do all I can to make her as comfortable as I can every day that I am privileged to have her with me. I kiss on her all of the time to let her know she is loved.

1 comment:

Christy said...

You're such a good mom! I know she feels your love so strong!