Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Vocals and Me

Why do I write posts only to delete them shortly? I think I know but I am not positive.
So here goes again. I may delete this one as well.

I have noticed that the Tabernacle Choir has recently released a new CD with only the male voices of the choir. I can't wait to hear it. I took note of how the selections were chosen and balanced for the release and the words of the director that this just might turn out to be the only time as well as the first time only males voices are used. I love male voices. From the time I was a little child I have had a difficult time appreciating female voices. So many of them are so, so, well just awful. I can remember as I grew up taking piano lessons, learning in junior high orchestra and band, and developing such a strong appreciation of instrumental music. However, I also developed a dislike of vocal music as a whole. But I did develop a preference for male voices. That is not to say that I did not participate in some vocal music. I did but....
I can remember the day when my own mother told me I should stick with instrumental music because I surely couldn't sing. So for the most part I have. I can read music and I can make the appropriate sound to equal what I read but I wouldn't say it sounds "listen worthy." HaHa! New word! So where does that put me with vocal music??? I just do not know. There are some female vocalists whose voices I like and appreciate as an adult but they are few and far between. My taste(s) would not please many of you who read this. One example of my distastes of female vocalists is Celine Dion. Just can't tolerate it, whew. Oh, and I forgot to mention every one's favorite, Miss Taylor Swift. Do you really call that singing?? Far too much of what I hear sounds like screaming, or in danger of dying, call 911, and some of it can not really be music, can it???
So where does that put me??? Just do not know.

Now to further complicate this issue I need to emphasize that I do appreciate choir and group music. Why? I like the blended voices. I enjoy the intricacies of choral music. I am not certain but I think it is because to produce a well balanced, polished sound it takes such effort to blend all aspects of the musical sound --voices, lyrics, accompaniment ( as a background). It is so technical and takes such an ear to coax and train human beings to produce a smooth lyrical sound. It takes work!! Now I am sure female solo vocalists can put up an outstanding argument with me about all of this. But this is my blog and I am doing "the talking."
More to follow.....

1 comment:

Christy said...

My husband feels the same way you do but takes it a bit farther. He can't handle women and men singing together at all. It's like nails on a chalk board to him. He'd only ever listen to men sing if he could. I think there are only a couple of women singers he enjoys in the entire world. I am not one of them! LOL He could listen to the men sing in General Conference every day and never get tired of it.